it is a mixture created from a Lemon curd base or you can use any type of fruit curd you wish to make creamy for a cake filling. The creamy and light filling is a compliment to fresh seasonal berries. I like to spread a thin layer of lemon curd or jam to the cake layer, and then spread on a layer of lemon cream. From the photo below, I've added in fresh raspberries and blueberries.
Basic Lemon curd recipe:
2 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
4 oz butter
3 oz lemon juice
1. Combine butter, lemon juice and sugar in a bowl set on top of a pot of water. (Bain Marie or Double boiler method).
2. In a separate bowl, beat eggs and yolks together.
3. When butter is melted, whisk/stir in egg mixture.
4. Stir constantly until mixture thickens; Do Not Boil.
5. Pour mixture into a pan to cool and cover with plastic wrap to keep a skin from forming onto the surface of the lemon curd. Cool in refrigerator overnight.
Lemon Cream cake filling
8 oz block of cream cheese (room temperature)
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup of lemon curd
1. Using the paddle attachment, whip cream cheese and sugar until creamy, drizzle in the heavy whipping cream at medium low speed. It should resemble the creaminess of soft whipped cream.
2. Add in the 1/2 cup Lemon curd and mix until combine and no yellow streaks from the lemon curd is showing.
3. Use right away or store over night in refrigerator.